What is Up & Go?
Up & Go lets you easily book professional house cleaning services from businesses with fair work practices.
Every home cleaning professional on Up & Go is a co-owner of their own business known as a worker cooperative. We are committed to:
- Service Quality and Accountability. Because the call or email Up & Go and a human will respond within one business day. professionals on Up & Go are also business owners, they are committed to building customer loyalty through excellent service. They have developed ongoing training and rigorous service quality standards that are leading industry best practice. If you ever do have a problem,
- Living wage, safe, and dignified work. As a consumer, you can be sure you are supporting fair work practices because these businesses are 100% worker-owned. Business decisions are made by the service professionals themselves (1 worker = 1 vote!), who joined a worker cooperative in order to secure fair schedules and wages.
- Transparency. On Up & Go, people get paid fairly for the work they do. 95% of your service fee goes to the service professional. The other 5% is for Up & Go to book the job.
- Community. Booking on Up & Go builds a stronger community around you. These cooperative businesses are owned by everyday people building better lives and a just local economy. Up & Go connects you with them.
- Can Co-ops Displace the Gig Economy? Nonprofit Quartlerly. December 21, 2017. "Workers earn $4–5 more dollars per hour than other cleaning-industry workers in the area and retain 95 percent of the income they generate. The workers can build equity as owners, in addition to earning a fair wage. The software platform amplifies the network’s marketing and streamlines customer support."
- How Innovative Funding Models Could Usher in a New Era of Worker-Owned Platform Cooperatives. Shareable. August 28, 2017. "Up & Go and an array of other emerging platform cooperatives...are charting the way forward for the creation of a far more equitable digital business sector; one that could restore the promise of a sharing economy based on the true sharing of wealth and power."
- 6 Things to Know About Worker Co-ops. WNYC News. July 24, 2017. "The hope is that by existing in the same world as the slick Silicon Valley startups, [worker-owned] cooperatives can grow their businesses, help workers stay in their neighborhoods, and give them a different position in life."
- A new way of cleaning your house. Marketplace Tech. July 20, 2017. "One of the biggest issues in the so-called gig economy is that the people doing the actual gigs don't always have a lot of control over the platform giving them the work. There's a new platform that wants to be different: Up & Go."
- How to Hire a Housekeeper - with a Clean Conscience. New York Nonprofit Media. June 6, 2017. "A new cleaning solution will help workplace justice sweep across New York City, a mop and a click at a time."
- Can the Gig Economy Save Itself? Break Thru Radio. June 1, 2017. "Up & Go might have the impact previous start-ups could only hope for. [...] Merging the convenience of digital platforms with a pro-worker model, Up & Go hopes to take on leading cleaning services gig platforms."
- Up & Go is a Worker-Owned Alternative to On-Demand Home Cleaning Services. Fast Company. May 16, 2017. "The new web app is giving worker-owned cleaning cooperatives a much-needed tech boost to expand their reach–and hopefully paving the way for a more tech-savvy approach to winning new customers for more equitable businesses.
- New Home Services Platform Up & Go Shakes Up the Gig Economy by Putting Workers in Charge. MarketWired. May 9, 2017.
- Tips for holiday hosting from a New York City B&B owner. BrickUnderground. December 20, 2016. "For the progressive-minded, look into a new service called Up & Go, which will connect you with local, women-owned, eco-friendly cleaning companies."
Up & Go Partners
Up & Go is a collaboration between community-based organizations, tech developers, philanthropic funders, and worker cooperatives in New York City.
|With ten years of cooperative development experience and relationships with worker cooperatives, the Center for Family Life in Sunset Park (CFL) has coordinated the development of Up & Go.|
|A worker-owned digital agency that designs and develops technology for mission-driven organizations and entrepreneurs, CoLab Cooperative built the Up & Go platform.|
|In its commitment to fighting poverty, Robin Hood Foundation has provided visionary leadership and invaluable support for the development of Up & Go.
|Up & Go is made possible with support from Barclays|
|New York City Worker Cooperatives||Worker cooperative members, developers, and office managers have provided essential information, ideas, and feedback in focus groups, meetings, and interviews in the development of Up & Go.|